ABOUT ME - MISS SKIP A DE

My name is Miss Skip A De. You can see my pedigree here at ALLBREEDPEDIGREE.

I was born on March 2, 1990. I originally came from the midwest but ended up at a well-known Maine dealer in 2003. I was sold from that dealer (the Dark Barn) but came back through a buy from another dealer in March of 2009.

Someone didn't take very good care of me and something was happening to my eyes. When they tried to sell me at the "dark barn" again, no one wanted me. I couldn't see very well and my legs and feet hurt, so I didn't move right either. The people at the "dark barn" told the others that my eyes were just fine. They let people ride me, but I was really scared because I don't know where am was going. I can see somethings - dark blurry things, parts of things. So when they rode me, I wasn't always as calm as I should be.

And when they took me out of the "dark barn" into the bright sunlight - OUCH! That made me squint, it didn't feel so good.

I was scared, hungry, thirsty and tired. People would come and look at me, and try to ride me, but they always put me back in the barn.

I heard someone say, "She'll end up going on a truck North." I am not sure what that meant, but deep in my bones, I knew it was not a good thing.

Then one day two humans came into the dark barn where I was tied. I looked over my shoulder at one of the humans when she walked by. I kept trying to get her attention. I wanted out of there so bad. I knew that my days were numbered and if someone didn't get me out of there soon, my fate would be grim!

The two humans left and I was scared again. Three days past. My feet were getting more sore, my tummy rumbled and I was so thirsty! They gave me food and hay and allowed me to drink from time to time at this dark barn, but really not enough. Maybe enough for a healthy horse, but I wasn't feeling well and needed more.

Then some other humans came by to see me. This time they put me in a trailer. I didn't feel scared. I was sure this trailer wasn't heading "North." Well, we were headed north, but not the scary "north!"

The ride seemed to go on an on. Finally we stopped and they wanted me to come out of the trailer. I had to back up. But I couldn't see very well. It was dark and, as I said, my eyes aren't very good. But I could tell these humans wanted to help me so I put my trust in them and they helped me off the trailer.

They led me to a roomy stall with soft shavings for bedding. There was a big bucket of water and a pile of hay for munching. I am not sure where I am, but I know I am not "up North" at the scary place.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The "VET" - I wasn't scared at all!

The VET came the today... what's all this stuff about the Vet. I heard he pokes and prods and some other horses don't like this VET. I wasn't scared though, he seemed to want to help me too! All these humans wanting to help me. Reminds me of my younger days when I was treated with respect and dignity. Did you see my baby picture?

The VET was a big fellow, but not scary to me. He flashed a bright light in my eyes. I saw that! He waved his hands in front of my eyes. I saw that sometimes. Most times it was just a dark blur.

I got to come out of my stall and run around in a circle. I have to trust my human at this point. I really can't see where I am going, but I do trust them to make sure I don't walk into anything. So I put tension on the line so that I could feel the human's hands at the other end. Round and round I went. It felt GOOD to be out and moving! But that VET guy. He stood in my way a couple of times. I nearly ran him over because I didn't see him until the last minute. I couldn't really see what it was, but I knew it was him from the scent and the sound of his voice. I didn't want to run him down, so I scooted around him last minute.... sometimes humans aren't too smart. Didn't he just tell these people I can't see so well?

We went back into the cozy barn. I was tired and ready for a rest. The Vet stuck a couple of needles under my skin. It didn't hurt hardly at all. Not nearly as much as those pangs of hunger I used to feel.

He opened my mouth and looked at my teeth. I was not impressed with this, but did comply after a bit. And since he complimented my teeth, I forgave him for this intrusion.

Then the humans talked for a bit. I rested. I leaned my head against the one they call Andrea, while she scratched my face gently. I think I dosed off for a bit....ahhhh. Then Andrea got suddenly sad because the vet told them what she already knew. I don't see very well. Don't be sad. I am fine, really. Audrey told Andrea not to worry - I agree. This place is obviously not the "north" place. It's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment